- If we used an early PC, we needed to learn to DOS commands and write batch files and maybe edit some lines of Basic
- If we wanted to share files on Bulletin Board Systems we needed to learn to write modem configuration files and master applications like Yenc and Zmodem
- If we wanted to upgrade to a GUI we needed to learn to write more configuration files and manage our directory structures and drivers
- If we wanted to be active on the world wide web, we needed learn how to code HTML and how to work on servers via FTP
- If we were interested in streaming media, we needed to learn how to manipulate script snippets, learn to edit still more configuration files and manage plugins, firewalls and server architecture
- If we wanted to... well, you get the idea
Now I learn that this makes me a coder and that this coding is a skill that is very much in demand.