The user abides

IN the early days of desktop information technology, we needed to learn how to write interpreted code to survive.

  • If we used an early PC, we needed to learn to DOS commands and write batch files and maybe edit some lines of Basic
  • If we wanted to share files on Bulletin Board Systems we needed to learn to write modem configuration files and master applications like Yenc and Zmodem
  • If we wanted to upgrade to a GUI we needed to learn to write more configuration files and manage our directory structures and drivers
  • If we wanted to be active on the world wide web, we needed learn how to code HTML and how to work on servers via FTP
  • If we were interested in streaming media, we needed to learn how to manipulate script snippets, learn to edit still more configuration files and manage plugins, firewalls and server architecture
  • If we wanted to... well, you get the idea

Now I learn that this makes me a coder and that this coding is a skill that is very much in demand.

Who knew?

Ode to the Encore Coder



Once I built a supply chains, made them run, inventory just in time
Once I built a supply chains, now I'm done, maybe now it's coding time
Once I did consulting, helped my clients' business run, built up their bottom line
Once I did consulting, now I'm done, maybe now it's coding time

Find me on Linkedin
My LinkedIn.com Profile